With this post, I am starting a new section in the history of Wytenteguj, i.e. DIY dog accessories. A black and white cocker spaniel joined our family, so I wouldn’t be myself if I didn’t make something for him 🙂 Like every puppy, Rio loves to bite and chase, hence the monkey fist dog toy is perfect at home and on walks.
- Rope – 90 cm of rope is needed to make a monkey fist on an egg shell.
- A ping-pong ball or an egg shell
How to make monkey fist knot?
The monkey fist is probably the most complicated knot I’ve ever made, so I had to do a few tries before it worked out. On the third try it looked perfect, so don’t be put off by the first try.
Three is our guiding digit, because we make all braids in threes and there are three of them 🙂 We will work only with one end of the rope, so leave the beginning in the desired length (about 30 cm).
- Make three braids of the rope around the fingers.
- Grasp the end of the rope between your fingers.
- Then wrap the rope around the first turns (you have to remove the rope from your hand).
- Remember the rule of three, i.e. wrap the rope three times.
- Now is a good time to put a ball or an egg shell inside the rope.
- Pass the end of the rope over the horizontal braids but under the vertical ones. We begin to form a knot.
- Then fold under the horizontal braids and over the vertical ones.
- Repeat three times 🙂
- This is the end of braiding, now a nice knot needs to be formed. To do this, tighten the ends and pull the rope. The middle braids must be tightened one by one so that the slack reaches the end of the rope.
The monkey fist is ready, doesn’t it look beautiful?
To finish the dog toy, make a simple knot at the ends of the rope. Then cut off any excess rope and heat the ends with the lighter.
Now it’s time to take your dog for a walk and play with the monkey fist 🙂
Check out our ideas
You can find more DIY dog accessories ideas in our For a dog section.
If you are looking for more ideas for playing with children, then you will find them in the DIY with children section.