On Earth Day, my daughter needed eco-clothing for the kindergarten event. This is how our recycled paper dress was created :). Additionally, we made a flower from a plastic bottle.
Polska wersja: Sukienka z papieru, czyli prosty sposób na eko strój
- Brown corrugated paper – available in DIY stores
- Plastic bottle
- Screw cap
How to make a recycled paper dress?
Our paper dress is actually a skirt and a top.
Recycled paper skirt
The skirt consists of overlapping paper pleats, like a gladiator 🙂
- Cut the paper into about 7cm strips.
- Cut the ribbon – it will be bow tied, so there is a lot of tolerance here. Better longer than too short.
- Fold the paper strips in half, put the ribbon in the middle and fasten the strips together with a stapler. Better not to staple on the ribbon so that the stripes can slide.
- Attach another stripes with the overlap.
- Check on the model if there are enough stripes already.
Recycled paper top
The top consists of 4 rectangular elements.
- In the front and back parts cut triangles for the head and then connected them by ribbons to make them fit snugly.
- The sides are attached to the front with a stapler. They have ribbons at the ends.
- On the back part there are 2 holes through which the ribbons should be threaded and tied at the back.
Flower from a plastic bottle
To make a flower from a plastic bottle, cut off the bottom, make 2 holes to pull the string and stick a colored cap in the center.
This is how our recycled paper dress looks like
Check out our ideas
You can find more costume ideas in our Costume section.
For more creative activities for kids check our DIY with kids section.
Follow us in social media
Nothing gives more satisfaction than doing something yourself. I haven’t even thought about DIY as my hobby, I’ve just done different “projects” when it was needed. Sometimes it’s a disguise for the Masquerade Party in kindergarten. Another time, cutting out the pumpkin and baking the witch’s fingers for Haloween. Or simply organizing holiday souvenirs. Now I decided to share my realizations with you. Let’s go it together!