The Lewis Hamilton doll DIY is a gift for a young F1 fan whose favorite driver is that from the Mercedes team. This is my next fabric doll from the same pattern, the previous ones are girls and a Harry Potter doll.
Polska wersja: Lalka Lewis Hamilton DIY
Materials needed to make a fabric doll
- Cotton raw material – this time I dyed the raw material in coffee to better reflect Lewis’s skin tone. I still use the fabric I bought for my first rag (I took advantage of this Allegro offer)
- Black rubberized fabric – choosing the right material for the F1 suit was one of the biggest challenges when creating this doll. Quite unexpectedly, I received a hairdresser’s apron and that’s what I used to create the torso.
- Silicone ball to fill the doll
- Sewing accessories – needle, thread, scissors.
- Black yarn – for hair
- Fabric markers – this is a big help when creating facial elements. There is a large selection on Allegro, I bought a set of 10 markers for about PLN 25.
- Stitch thread – needed to embroider the details of the driver’s overalls
- Styrofoam egg – perfect for a helmet 🙂
- Template – I created my own doll pattern. It turns out to be a shapely rag doll 🙂 Just remember to sew the hands diagonally.
- My pattern for a slim doll.
How to make the Lewis Hamilton doll?
F1 driver doll body
- The first step is to print the pattern and trace it on the fabric. I cut the head from coffee-dyed cotton raw material, and the body from rubberized fabric from a hairdresser’s apron.
- On the front of the suit, I embroidered (rather awkwardly) elements characteristic of Lewis Hamilton’s suit, i.e. his team sponsors: Mercedes, Petronas, Tommy Hilfiger, UBS.
- Then I sewed the head to the body. Then the two resulting parts should be sewn together, leaving a small gap on the side. It allows the stuffing of a doll.
- Turn it inside out.
- Stuff it with a silicone ball.
- Prepare arms: just like when making body, before sewing I embroidered the inscription INEOS. Then I sewed them on the left side, turned them over to the right side and stuffed them with a silicone ball.
- Sew the arms diagonally to the torso.
- Sew the side of the doll with a blind stitch.
- Finally, I made a few accessories for the suit with embroidered numbers and initials.
Lewis Hamilton has characteristic braids that are quite easy to recreate with yarn.
- Prepare several sets of 3 strands of black yarn and tied them with a knot in the middle.
- Sew each set using a knot on the doll’s forehead.
- Make braids
- Sew the braids on the back of the head.
I painted the eyes, mouth and facial hair with fabric markers. These markers are brilliant and a great help 😉.
I made the helmet from a Styrofoam egg. First, I cut off the top of the egg, then hollowed out the center and cut a hole in place of the glass. Finally, my daughters and I painted the helmet black. Later it turned out that in the final race of the 2022 season, Lewis Hamilton wore a rainbow helmet, so we repainted it a bit and added sponsors’ signs 🙂
The Lewis Hamilton doll is ready!
Other fabric dolls
Harry Potter doll tutorial is here.
Fabric dolls tutorial including girls.
Check out our ideas
If you are looking for more creative activities for kids check our DIY with kids section.
What is more, a lot of gift ideas for children you can find in our DIY gift ideas for kid section.
Follow us in social media
Nothing gives more satisfaction than doing something yourself. I haven’t even thought about DIY as my hobby, I’ve just done different “projects” when it was needed. Sometimes it’s a disguise for the Masquerade Party in kindergarten. Another time, cutting out the pumpkin and baking the witch’s fingers for Haloween. Or simply organizing holiday souvenirs. Now I decided to share my realizations with you. Let’s go it together!