After Harry Potter I got into sewing dolls. With each new one I acquire new experiences, and the joy of children gives me wings. A personalized fabric doll is a great gift idea😁. In this post I will show you how to make a fabric doll.
Polska wersja: Personalizowana lalka szmacianka – jak ją zrobić?
All you need to make a fabric doll
- Natural cotton fabric – It looks natural, it is neutral to the touch and you can draw on it pens for fabric.
- Silicone ball – to fill in the doll
- Sewing supplies – needle, threads, scissors.
- Textile markers – it is a great help when creating face elements.
- Synthetic hair or yarn – I made the first doll with yarn hair. In the next one, I accidentally found synthetic hair and decided to give it a try. It turned out really nice, so I keep on using the synthetic hair.
- Sewing pattern
After Harry Potter doll, I made a few more dolls and worked out my own pattern. A neat rag doll comes out of it 🙂 Just remember to sew the hands diagonally, hence that is not marked on the pattern.
When it comes to accessories for dolls, everything can be useful, especially small children’s clothes. So far I used:
- Hairdressing apron
- Star sequins
- Star-shaped application
- Bracelet made of rubber bands
- Beaded bracelet
- Colored synthetic hair for braids
- A tiny bottle, glitter, screw with a loop and a gold string – for the glitter bottle
Here is an example of how I converted a swimsuit into a dress and accessories for a doll:
How to make a fabric doll?
- The first step is to print the pattern and draw it on the fabric.
- Then sew and leave a gap on the side of the torso.
- Fold it over.
- Stuff with a silicone ball.
- Similarly sew and stuff arms.
- Attach the arms diagonally to the body.
- Sew the side of the doll with the blind stitch.
I made the first doll with yarn hair. I sewed two tufts on the head and made a braid. Unfortunately, this was not enough and when the braid rises, the doll is bald on the back of the head, so more tufts need to be sewn on.
With another doll, I accidentally found synthetic hair and decided to try it out. It turned out really nice, so the next doll is already with synthetic hair.
With the first doll, I embroidered the eyes and mouth. It was quite difficult and time-consuming, so for the next dolls I decided to paint the face with textile markers, which is a brilliant thing 😉.
And finally the obligatory ruddy cheeks 🙂
My fabric dolls
Check out our ideas
Post about Harry Potter doll is here.
If you are looking for more creative activities for kids check our DIY with kids section.
What is more, a lot of gift ideas for children you can find in our DIY gift ideas for kid section.
Follow us in social media
If you want to be up-to-date with our newest posts, like our Facebook fanpage, follow us on Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube.
Nothing gives more satisfaction than doing something yourself. I haven’t even thought about DIY as my hobby, I’ve just done different “projects” when it was needed. Sometimes it’s a disguise for the Masquerade Party in kindergarten. Another time, cutting out the pumpkin and baking the witch’s fingers for Haloween. Or simply organizing holiday souvenirs. Now I decided to share my realizations with you. Let’s go it together!