The story of this not-so-little cuddly llama toy began more than a month ago. Then I was inspired by photos on Pinterest. She kept going through my head ever since that time. And here she is, finally! Deep-yellow, finished with cotton fabrics with Łowicz folk patterns. An interesting fact is that, the lama was made from the remains of my blackout curtains. And while I honestly don’t recommend sewing cuddler from blackout fabrics, I suggest you to draw attention to this cuddly llama toy.
More information about the types of fabrics used by me and online shops I recommend the most you can find here.
I encourage you to visit one of the best sewing Facebook group SZYCIE-WYKROJE-DIY (unfortunately for polish speaking readers). This is a mine of knowledge about sewing and you can ask questions and get help from more advanced in sewing.
- 70 cm smooth fabrics, preferably cotton, jersey or looped back french terry
- 30 cm printed pattern fabrics, preferably cotton
- yarn for pompoms the color of the llama’s body
- black embroidery floss
- silicone balls fillings
How to sew it
- First of all cut two pieces of llama’s body from the fabrics.
- In the second step fold up those two pieces right sides together. Sew edges leaving the hole about 4-5 cm. Then turn it right side out through the hole.
- Fill the llama’s body with silicone balls. Sew te whole using ladder stitch.
- Fasten pompoms at the places of mane and tail. Click here to see the instructions how to make such pompoms.
- In the next step using black embroidery floss sew llama’s eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cut two pieces of llama’s saddle from printed pattern cotton fabrics. Fold them up right sides together leaving the hole about 3 cm. After sewing turn it right side out. Sew the hole using ladder stitch.
- Use the printed pattern cotton fabrics to cut inner pieces of llama’s ears and smooth fabrics for outer pieces (the same as for the whole body).
- Fold up those pieces right sides together. Sew them leaving small hole on the bottom. After that fold them right side out.
- In the next step fold up the bottom of llama’s ears as presented on the pictures below. Sew it manually.
- The saddle and llama’s ears sew to the llama’s body. That’s all! Your llama is ready to hug! It could be used as a cuddler for your child, pillow or decoration in kids (but not only!) room 🙂
Find more sewing tutorials in DIY with sewing machine section.