The story of this not-so-little cuddly llama toy began more than a month ago. Then I was inspired by photos on Pinterest. She kept going through my head ever since that time. And here she is, finally! Deep-yellow, finished with cotton fabrics with Łowicz folk patterns. An interesting fact is that, the lama was made from the remains of my blackout curtains. And while I honestly don’t recommend sewing cuddler from blackout fabrics, I suggest you to draw attention to this cuddly llama toy.
If you want to be up-to-date with our newest posts about sewing for kids and free patterns, like our Facebook fanpage and follow us on Instagram.
More information about the types of fabrics used by me and online shops I recommend the most you can find here.
I encourage you to visit one of the best sewing Facebook group SZYCIE-WYKROJE-DIY (unfortunately for polish speaking readers). This is a mine of knowledge about sewing and you can ask questions and get help from more advanced in sewing.
- 70 cm smooth fabrics, preferably cotton, jersey or looped back french terry
- 30 cm printed pattern fabrics, preferably cotton
- yarn for pompoms the color of the llama’s body
- black embroidery floss
- silicone balls fillings
How to sew it
- First of all cut two pieces of llama’s body from the fabrics.
- In the second step fold up those two pieces right sides together. Sew edges leaving the hole about 4-5 cm. Then turn it right side out through the hole.
- Fill the llama’s body with silicone balls. Sew te whole using ladder stitch.
- Fasten pompoms at the places of mane and tail. Click here to see the instructions how to make such pompoms.
- In the next step using black embroidery floss sew llama’s eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cut two pieces of llama’s saddle from printed pattern cotton fabrics. Fold them up right sides together leaving the hole about 3 cm. After sewing turn it right side out. Sew the hole using ladder stitch.
- Use the printed pattern cotton fabrics to cut inner pieces of llama’s ears and smooth fabrics for outer pieces (the same as for the whole body).
- Fold up those pieces right sides together. Sew them leaving small hole on the bottom. After that fold them right side out.
- In the next step fold up the bottom of llama’s ears as presented on the pictures below. Sew it manually.
- The saddle and llama’s ears sew to the llama’s body. That’s all! Your llama is ready to hug! It could be used as a cuddler for your child, pillow or decoration in kids (but not only!) room 🙂
Find more sewing tutorials in DIY with sewing machine section.
I have been passionate about DIY since my childhood, and my innate patience and accuracy make the whole process of creation a lot easier for me and that gives me a lot of satisfaction and pleasure. During my first pregnancy I learnt how to sew, what resulted with few tutorials about sewing clothes for kids on the blog. In the beginning of my second maternity leave, I have learned how to crochet amigurumi from yt. I found out, that I really love it, that’s why so many blog posts describe my crochet creatures.