The Monster Book of Monsters is a real treasure for Harry Potter fans. I’ve been thinking about creating it for a long time, but I couldn’t find the right elements. Until now 🙂
In the original Harry Potter series The Monster Book of Monsters is a birthday present for Harry Potter from Hagrid. It describes magical creatures and in fact the book is one of them. If you didn’t pet it before opening it, it attacked the reader 😈.
Our book isn’t as scary, but it looks just as amazing. It is made of a wooden box, faux fur, vampire teeth and safe toy eyes. It will serve as a box for magical items.
In this post I will show you how to make a box styled after the Monster Book of Monsters 🕷🤓
Polish version: Potworna Księga Potworów DIY
You will need
Basic materials (I bought everything online on Polish online marketplace called Allegro):
- Wooden box – mine measures approx. 21 cm x 17 cm x 5 cm.
- Faux fur – I was looking for fur for the longest time. I started by searching my closet because I once had a fur collar on my jacket. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find it and eventually had to buy it.
- Vampire Teeth – there are plenty of offers online and in stationary stores before Halloween.
- Safe, cat-like eyes – mine are 14 mm.
- Hot glue
- Silicone ball or other filling
- Red marker – to paint the box where the monster’s teeth are
Additionally, you may find useful:
- Brown belt
- Brown paper
- Gold marker – to create the inscription “Monster Book of Monsters”.
How to make the Monster Book of Monsters
The most difficult thing was collecting all the necessary materials. The next steps in creating the book are:
Cutting and gluing the teeth to the front of the book
- Depending on the type of teeth you have, it may be necessary to trim them. I had to cut the gums a bit because they stuck out behind the box.
- Additionally, I painted the box red where the wood shows through the teeth
Gluing the fur on the lower part
- Prepare two pieces of faux fur. One should be glued to the bottom of the box and the other to the lid. It is best to use hot glue for gluing.
- It is best to start gluing from the back of the lower part.
- Then glue on the bottom and sides.
- The fur should be cut out from the front so that the teeth are exposed and clearly visible.
Gluing the fur on the top and assembling the eyes
- Proceed similarly with the upper part, although after gluing the back, it is best to stick only half of the lid.
- Now you need to adjust the place where the eyes will be. Make a small hole and install the eye.
- In the place where the eyes are, put some silicone ball or other filler to raise this part so that the eyes are more visible.
- Finally, glue the remaining fur on the lid and front. On the front, be sure to trim the fur so that the teeth are exposed and clearly visible.
In the movie, the Monster Book of Monsters was closed with a strap, so it could be added to complete the effect.
Another optional element is the book title. I made it using the letter chart from Letteringuje. I’m not very good at lettering yet, so I helped myself by tracing the letters onto a piece of paper. Then stamping the inscription on brown paper to finish with a gold acrylic maker.
DIY Monster Book of Monsters – a treasure for Harry Potter fans
My children have decided they prefer a book without a title. Which do you like better – with or without the inscription? With or without the belt?
Check out our ideas
Regarding Harry Potter tutorials, we also have a rag doll and a Harry Potter card on the blog 🙂
If you are looking for more creative activities for kids check our DIY with kids section.
What is more, a lot of gift ideas for children you can find in our DIY gift ideas for kid section.
You can find more DIY decoration ideas in our decorations section
If you look for more DIY cards ideas check our Cards section.
Follow us in social media
Nothing gives more satisfaction than doing something yourself. I haven’t even thought about DIY as my hobby, I’ve just done different “projects” when it was needed. Sometimes it’s a disguise for the Masquerade Party in kindergarten. Another time, cutting out the pumpkin and baking the witch’s fingers for Haloween. Or simply organizing holiday souvenirs. Now I decided to share my realizations with you. Let’s go it together!