Pinatas have stolen my heart and running on the creative energy after popsicle pinata I’ve made cloud pinata. The charm of pinata is fleeting and fades with each stroke of the stick. It turns into smiles on kids’ faces and great joy when they reach the treasure inside 😀
You can find the tutorial on how to start your adventure with pinata in the post How do you make a simple pinata? In this post I focus on cute cloud pinata.
What materials do you need to make a pinata?
- Cardboard box in the size similar to the size of your pinata
- Color tissue paper – for the cloud pinata I used one and a half roll of white paper and 10 cm piece of other colors for the tail.
- Black and pink paper for cloud’s face
- Paper tape
- Paper glue
- Adhesive tape
- Optional duct tape to strengthen the rope attachment
What to put inside a pinata?
In summer, it’s best to avoid chocolates because they can melt. I decided on small powdered sweets, bouncing balls and fruit slimes.
Preparing the shape out of cardboard
I started making my cloud pinata with the preparation of the shape from cardboard. Cloud pinata is more demanding than popcisle pinata, because you have to fight a little bit with cardboard. It is best to stick in several places with paper tape so that the pinata is not too strong.
- Draw a cloud shape on the box and cut on one side.
- Use felling as a template to trace on the other side.
- Cut out the cloud shape from the other side.
- Cut the sides and cut off the excess cardboard.
- Fold the whole shape and stick with paper tape.
This time, I attached the rope and filled the pinata before decorating. This has its pros and cons. The undoubted advantage is that the shaped is already connected together and you do not have to worry about the window. On the other hand, the drawback is that the pinata is heavier and the content shifts when maneuvering.
Here I remind the knot to secure the rope.
Decorating the cloud pinata
The next step is to decorate the pinata with color tissue paper.
- Cut about 6 cm from a roll of tissue paper
- Unfold the top layer so that a flat stack of several layers of paper is created
- Cut at the edges leaving about 1.5 cm uncut
- Then cut the tissue paper along the entire length
- Finally, unfold the paper strip
Cover the entire cardboard box with the prepared strips of tissue paper. Glue the strips every 1-2 cm, first in the front and sides, and then on the back.
The face makes the cloud pinata looks cute and charming. Eyes, mouth and chicks can be easily made of color paper.
The last element is the color tail, which optically enlarges the pinata. In addition, it effectively waves in the wind. To make a tail:
- Cut pieces of tissue paper about 1 cm wide
- Dissolve the paper
- Catch it half
- Stick to the pinata’s the base
Cloud pinata is ready!
Playing with pinata involves hitting it with a wooden stick until it falls apart and reveals its contents. The stick should be wooden so that it lasts until the end 🙂
Our kids struck in turn, each had 3 strokes, and the others waited at a safe distance. Everyone was collecting sweets and toys when the pinata fell apart and everything fell out of it.
Check out our ideas
If you are looking for more ideas for playing with children, then you will find them in the DIY with children section.
Follow us in social media
If you want to be up-to-date with our newest posts, like our Facebook fanpage, follow us on Instagram and Pinterest.
Nothing gives more satisfaction than doing something yourself. I haven’t even thought about DIY as my hobby, I’ve just done different “projects” when it was needed. Sometimes it’s a disguise for the Masquerade Party in kindergarten. Another time, cutting out the pumpkin and baking the witch’s fingers for Haloween. Or simply organizing holiday souvenirs. Now I decided to share my realizations with you. Let’s go it together!