For my younger daughter’s birthday, I decided to bake and decorate the cake myself. Zuzia loves cats, so the main decoration of the cake was a fondant cat. It turns out that kids not only love to eat fondant decorations, but it’s also a lot of fun to make them.
However, when it comes to baking, I will not pretend that I am a baking specialist. I used recipes from specialized websites, however they are in Polish only.
Wersja polska: Kot z masy cukrowej na tort
Ingredients for fondant decorations
- Grey, pink, white and black fondant. Small amounts of mass are enough for decoration, packaging of 100g is max. The best way for the beginners is to buy ready made fondant.
How to make a fondant cat cake topper?
I am just a beginner in fondant decorations, so my work still has some imperfections. Nevertheless, I encourage you to make toppers yourself, because they are not that difficult, and when ready they give a lot of joy 🙂
- Knead the fondant to make it plastics.
- Shape the body into a pear shape and insert a toothpick in the center.
- Make 2 rolls for the front paws, crush them lightly at the ends and fold it to form a paw. Additionally, cut slightly to make the claws visible.
- Make 2 small balls for the hind feet and stick with water pink circles to them to form a cushion shape under the paw.
- Make a large ball for the head.
- Prepare two small gray triangles for the ears and stick even smaller pink triangles to them.
- Make and stick the details of the face: two gray circles on the sides of the mouth with holes, a pink triangle on the nose, pink circle on the tongue.
- Prepare and attach the eyes: two white circles, two smaller black dots and four eyelash rollers
- Place the finished head on the previously prepared body.
- Roll 4 long, white, narrow stamens for the mustache. Leave it to dry and harden. Only when they are stiff make holes in the head and put on the mustache.
- Leave the cat to dry and harden.
Super tasty strawberry cake is the perfect base for a unicorn cake
My cake consists of 3 layers: sponge cake, strawberry cream and strawberry jelly. In my opinion, the jelly is a must-have, because kids love it I used white chocolate ganache to cover the cake. Each recipe I used is available in Polish only.
Fondant cat on the birthday cake
Check out our ideas
If you are looking for more birthday cake ideas check our Birthday cakes section.
DIY gift ideas for children are in our DIY gift ideas for kid section.
Follow us in social media
Nothing gives more satisfaction than doing something yourself. I haven’t even thought about DIY as my hobby, I’ve just done different “projects” when it was needed. Sometimes it’s a disguise for the Masquerade Party in kindergarten. Another time, cutting out the pumpkin and baking the witch’s fingers for Haloween. Or simply organizing holiday souvenirs. Now I decided to share my realizations with you. Let’s go it together!