Easter is coming, hence now is the right moment to sow the oats and enjoy the vivid green decoration during Easter. I encourage you to sow oats with your kiddos. It is a very simple activity and gives a lot of joy. Thanks to the use of cotton wool kids don’t get dirty. Later, they can observe how oats grow. You do not have to wait too long for the first sprouts, so it should be enough for child patience 🙂
- Oat seeds
- Cotton wool
- The container in which we want to plant.
Sowing of oats
The job is very simple. The only difference is that we sow on cotton instead of soil. You can also use soil, but the cotton wool is not falling apart and is more aesthetic, and the oat is to be used as a decoration on an Easter table or in a basket.
- Place the cotton wool in the container
- Soak the cotton wool with water
- Spread the seeds evenly. We had too many, because kids got very involved 🙂
- Cover seeds with another layer of cotton wool and soak with water. This treatment aims to well soak seeds and should speed up the germination process.
- After few hours or after the night, remove the top layer of cotton wool leaving the seeds uncovered.
- Put the container on a parapet, so that seeds and later plants get some light.
- Moisten the cotton pad every day to prevent it from drying out.
That’s how oats grow day by day
From oat shoots you can create Easter decorations, such as egg heads with green hair.
Check out our ideas
If you are looking for more ideas for playing with children, then you will find them in the DIY with children section.
Other Easter inspirations can be found in the Easter section. There you can find: